Let the Mixing Begin!
What you'll get:
- 8 Two hour classes that demonstrate the mixing process
- 40 additional lessons (5 per class) detailing each step in the mixing process.
- Over 60 support videos (40+ hours of content)
- Downloadable Multi-Track Song for Mixing
- Downloadable support materials
- Post your comments or questions for any lesson and have them answered directly by Mike.
Warning: This course may lead to professional sounding mixes!
Class 1: The Structure of Mixing
This is the most essential part of the online mixing course because all of the other classes will be built off of the information provided here. It is absolutely necessary to teach you how to listen to music and what to listen for.
- A Historical Perspective of Mixing
- A Visual Approach to Audio
- Listening Environment and Speaker Setup
- Session Organization and the 3 Tiered Mixing System
- Preparing to Mix
Class 2: The Mixing Process
This phase of the online mixing course starts the actual mixing process and goes step by step through the process of how to start your mix. There are many hidden secrets in this stage of the mixing process that build the foundation for everything else you do.
- The Mix Process: Step by Step
- Setting a Goal For Your Mix
- Levels and Panning
- Phase and Phase Relationship
- Filters and Subtractive EQ
Class 3: Tonal Shaping & Equalization
This is an in depth look at EQ and how it is best applied in a mix. Equalization is an incredibly powerful tool for shaping and refining your mix. It is also the most grossly overused tool. This discussion in the online mixing workshop will dispel the many myths surrounding EQ and it’s application in the mixing process.
- Different Types of EQ
- Understanding Filters and Q
- Using Vintage Equalizers
- Shaping Sound
- Practical Application and Techniques
Class 4: Dynamics Processing Part 1
Dynamics processing is absolutely the most misunderstood and misused form of processing by novices and professionals alike. It is also the most powerful form of processing when used correctly. This week will explain, in extreme detail, the what, why, when and how of dynamics processing.
- Types of Compressors and Expanders
- The concept of Frequency Density
- Parameters of the Compressor
- How to Hear Compression
- The Practical Application of Compression
Class 5: Dynamics Processing Part 2
This class will focus on the practical application of dynamics processing including the use of advances dynamic processing techniques. You will learn how to truly harness the power of compression and solidify the imaging and depth of your mix.
- Advanced Compression Techniques
- Using Vintage Compressors
- Multiband Compressors
- Unique Dynamics Processors
- A Complete Compression Overview
Class 6: Effects Processing
This is an in-depth look at effects processing and how it should be applied in the mixing process. Each form of processor is discussed in detail and how it effects the 3D soundstage.
- Early Reflections
- Reverb and Echoes
- Delay Effects
- Modulation Effects
- Processing Tips and Techniques
Class 7: Automation and Fine Tuning
This topic will discuss the importance of automation and the concept of focussing the listener’s attention. This is the stage where the song comes together ‘musically’ and is the critical stage for turning your ‘mix’ into a ‘record’.
- The Layers of Automation
- Pre Processing Automation
- Automating Effects
- Automation Techniques
- Automating Fade-ins and Fade-outs
Class 8: Finishing The Mix
This is the integration stage for all the other techniques that have been applied in the previous weeks. In this stage of the online mixing course, you will learn how to gel all of the individual processing techniques into a coherent mix. This will dramatically change your perspective of mixing and is where the 3 Tiered Mixing System comes into full effect.
- 3 Tiered Mixing System Revisited
- Mix Stem and Mix Buss Processing
- Considerations for Mastering
- Printing The Final Mix
- Managing Updates and Archival